According to the Dominican, Vincent of Beauvais (d. 1264), the Carmelites migrated to Europe in 1238.
During the second decade of the century the hermits of Carmel sought to solidify their juridical status. In 1226, they obtained confirmation of their “norm of living” from Pope Honorius III.
The site chosen fo the hermitage, the fountain of Elijah, is worthy of note, for it was to have a profound influence on the charism of the Order.
The formula vitae outlined by the patriarch echoes the style of life of the oriental monks in the laurae of Palestine.
The first appearance of western hermits on Mt. Carmel was in 13th century literature but the fact that other eremitical locations were now under Muslim control, suggest that refugees from other parts of Palestine found a haven on Carmel.
The victory of Saladin at Hattin in 1187 put the quietus on religious life, cenobitical and eremitical, in Palestine.
Holy men renounced the world, and, according to their various affections and wishes and their religious fervor, chose places to dwell in suitable to their object and devotion.
“Every Order taketh its name either from a place or from a saint,” writes John Baconthorpe, 14th century English Carmelite.
An arduous missionary activity was carried out by the third Carmelite vicariate of Maranhão in northern Brazil.
The Carmelite friar Fray Anthony Vázquez de Espinosa mentions in Cumaná, New Andalusia, a shrine to Our Lady of Mount Carmel with a hospital for the poor, and Carmelite convents in Belém and São Luis in the region of the River Marañon.