Carmelite Chronicles Evolution of the Order

June 5, 2012

Not long thereafter, we find the Carmelites requesting the papal privileges. In 1252, Innocent IV gave them permission to have churches with a belfry and one bell – the sign of a public church – and a cemetery for their own use. Innocent IV granted the prior general the right of bestowing faculties on his subjects for preaching and hearing confessions. In 1262, Urban IV allowed them to bury laymen in their cemeteries provided the canonical portion of the parish priest was satisfied.
These faculties are compatible with the eremitical life – preaching and spiritual direction are known occupations of hermits – but they no doubt served to draw the Carmelites into the active life.
From The Mirror of Carmel by Joachim Smet, O. Carm.

Share This

Sign up for our Email newsletter