During the second decade of the century the hermits of Carmel sought to solidify their juridical status. In 1226, they obtained confirmation of their “norm of living” from Pope Honorius III.
April of 1229 brought several privileges and decisions from Pope Gregory IX. On April 9, he placed the hermitage on Carmel under the protection of the Holy See and granted permission for divine service to be held there behind closed doors in time of interdict. Papal protection at the time entailed the right of direct appeal and was the first stage toward exemption.
On April 5, the prior of the hermitage on Mount Carmel was given power to dispense repentant apostates from censures, “because it would be too difficult to refer such cases to the Holy See in parts beyond the sea.”
In the bull of April 6, Gregory forbids the hermitage to possess “places or possessions, that is, houses or revenues.” The decision is sometimes interpreted as a first step toward mendicancy on the part of the Order, but such poverty was practiced by other eremitical communities, such as Grandmont. As a matter of fact, the pope adduces the contemplative character of the hermits’ life as the reason why they should not have possessions, “lest those who, ascending the mountain to pray with the Lord, have washed their feet, should again soil them.” The monasteries of Palestine were supported by revenues coming from Europe. Perhaps the hermitage on Carmel had been offered such stable support, which was now prohibited by the pope.