Carmelite ChroniclesMarian Devotion

May 17, 2012

From the account of a French pilgrim, written about 1231, we know that the oratory in the midst of the cells, prescribed by the Rule, was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin: “On the slope of this same mountain is a very fair place and delicious, where is a little church of our Lady.” In time, the hermits of Mount Carmel became known as the “Brothers of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.” As early as 1252 the term occurs in papal documents, so it probably already enjoyed popular usage. From this tiny mustard seed grew the wide-spreading tree of the Marian devotion of the Order.

From The Mirror of Carmel by Joachim Smet, O. Carm.

Share This

Sign up for our Email newsletter