The Sacred Heart Chaplet has 33 beads, one for each year of the life of Jesus Christ, divided into 5 decades. The following prayers are revisions of those offered by Fr. John Croiset, S. J. in his classic book, “The Devotion to the Sacred Heart.” In addition, 5 mysteries of the Sacred Heart Chaplet are developed.
To begin the Chaplet, say an Anima Christi:
Soul of Christ, sanctify me. Body of Christ, save me. Blood of Christ, inebriate me. Water from the side of Christ, wash me. Passion of Christ, strengthen me, O good Jesus, hear me, Within Thy wounds hide me, Separated from Thee let me never be, From the malicious enemy defend me, In the hour of my death call me and bid me come unto Thee That I may praise Thee with Thy saints Forever and ever. Amen.
On the beads on the outside, say:
An Our Father, three Hail Marys, and a Glory Be.
On each large bead say:
I love you Lord, who suffered agony in the Garden of Gethsemane and who today, in the Blessed Sacrament, is outraged at the impiety and ingratitude of men. Give us your Love, help us to Love you more, you who alone are holy, you who alone are Lord, the Most High, Jesus Christ.
On each small bead say:
Lord, I adore your Sacred Heart, inflame in our hearts the Divine Love with which your own is inflamed.
Before each large bead say:
Lord Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make our hearts like yours.
To end the Chaplet say the following prayer:
O Lord, you give your Sacred Heart to humanity in the Mystery of the Altar for the salvation of our souls, may your sacrifice not be made in vain. Hear our prayers, have mercy on us and forgive our sins. We desire to honor you in the Blessed Sacrament, (glorify you in our thoughts, words and actions, and thank and praise you always.) We weep for and detest the impiety and ingratitude of men, call us back to the heart of your Church. I offer you my heart in reparation for sin. (Remove from it what is displeasing to you, dispose it according to your will, and inspire it with sentiments like yours.) Draw us near to you Sacred Heart through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and be our refuge at death, that we may come to praise for all eternity the Divine Love with which your Sacred Heart burns for humanity. I ask this in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen. Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in you.
Five Mysteries of the Sacred Heart Chaplet – You may meditate on these mysteries, or others, while praying the chaplet. Because the decades are short, it is not recommended that you fix one mystery per decade. Instead, dwell on a mystery for as long as it is helpful, move on to a different mystery if you feel drawn to.
1. The Entry into Jerusalem in which out Savior, meek and humble of heart and riding on a donkey, entered triumphantly into the City of David and his people sang Hosanna.
2. The Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane in which Christ suffered affliction out of love for sinful and disobedient humanity and asked his disciples to remain, pray and keep vigil with him.
3. The Road to Emmaus in which Christ accompanied his disciples and interpreted the scriptures for them. Their hearts burned within them, and he revealed himself in the breaking of the bread.
4. The Blessed Sacrament, which is given to humanity through the Mystery of the Alter, reposed in the tabernacle, and exposed for Eucharistic Adoration, within which God is really, truly and substantially present.
5. The Image of the Sacred heart, which represents Christ’s Sacred Humanity, the interior life of his soul, and his affection of merciful love for humanity.